An examination will be required when applying for life insurance. The degree of testing is determined by your age and the amount of insurance you have applied for. The exam can consist of any of the following:
- Health history
- Vital signs, to include blood pressure, pulse, height, weight, and chest measurements (for males only)
- Urine sample
- Blood sample
- EKG or treadmill
- An exam performed by a Doctor
- Chest X-ray (due to certain ages, benefit amounts, and smoking status)
The exam is performed by an approved paramedical facility. They will contact you to make an appointment that is convenient for you. The examiner will advise you of what the exam will consist of from the list noted above and advise you of any necessary instructions.
Please note the following before taking your exam:
- Try to relax prior to the exam.
- Please fast for at least 8 hours prior to the exam.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for at least 12 hours prior to the exam.
- Try to abstain from the use of stimulants at least 1 hour prior to the examination (smoking, coffee, tea, soft drinks, or anything containing caffeine).
- Alcoholic beverages should not be consumed for at least 12 hours prior to the exam.
- Please prepare a list of doctors’ names and addresses that have been seen in the last few years.
- Bring a list of all current medications, including dosages, as well as the name, address, and phone number of the physician prescribing the medications.
- Please bring a photo ID (driver’s license).
There is no cost to you for the exam. If you would like a copy of your lab results, please write and sign a short note addressed to the carrier where you are applying for life insurance, indicating you would like a copy of your lab results sent to you. We will forward to the carrier.